Ever wondered what the reasons are for using a mattress protector? You may not be pleased you asked when you are grossed out by the answers! However, you’ll certainly be thanking us for saving you from what’s lurking on your mattress…
The mattress on your bed is one of the dirtiest things in your bedroom. Filled with dust mites, your mattress can play host to many other nasties which can make you or your family unwell. That’s why your mattress grows heavier as it gets older, simply because of the things living on or in it. Yuck!
Here’s Why You Need a Mattress Protector!
Let’s get into graphic details here. There are three common things growing in and on your mattress:
- Dust Mites – did you know that the average mattress contains 10 million dust mites and that they’re feeding off your dead skin cells? They love dark, warm and damp places and specialise in causing allergies in both kids and adults.
- Bacteria – from the stomach bug E.coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Campylobacter (which causes more stomach problems) and the Norovirus which is like severe food poisoning, your mattress can literally make you sick.
- Fungi & Mould – these nasties Geotrichum, Cladosporium, Aspergillus, Rhizopus and Alternaria can make you very unwell.
However, in addition to the four above, here are four more reasons to use a Brolly Sheet mattress protector:
- Food – breakfast in bed can leave plenty of food upon your mattress. While leftover food can’t make you sick, it does provide a breeding ground for bacteria to grow.
- Sweat & Body Fluids – as we sweat each night, our sweat moves into our sheets, blankets, pillows and mattresses. Then there are our body fluids like saliva and blood joining in the fun too.
- Skin Cells – with around 500 million skin cells shed by one person every day, these cells build up in our mattresses and create a welcome food source for our resident dust mites.
- Chemicals – you’ll often find chemicals such as flame retardants, plasticisers and isocyanates within the materials used to make a mattress
- Cosmetics – if you’ve gone to bed without taking your makeup off, then it’s probably on your mattress. This is also the case for other cosmetics such as skin creams and hair products.
- Urine & Faeces – kids, pets and even adults can wet the bed or have an accident. So you’ll most probably have urine and faeces on your mattress, as well as faeces from insects too! Gross.
How do you keep your family safe from these nasties? Regular cleaning of your mattress and bedding is essential, as is the use of protective covers. A Brolly Sheet mattress protector keeps a physical barrier between you and your mattress. Machine washable, it’s easy to keep clean and help you win the war against what’s growing on your mattress, and it can be machine washed. You can order quality mattress and pillow protectors from our online stores today!
Find out more about other waterproof bedding!