With a new bundle on the way, it can be easy to be overwhelmed with an ever growing list of things to do. To add to that, you have the pregnancy itself to contend with and the symptoms of a growing baby in your body.
There are some key things that need to be done in anticipation of baby’s arrival, as well as some things I think can make things less stressful too! Check out my go-to list of how to prepare for baby’s arrival below:
- Prepare the bassinet for when baby comes home. Set it up in your room, put the sheets on and get used to having it next to you. What’s great about doing this in advance is it can be quite fiddly setting up a new bassinet, but also a good way for you to see if you need to move furniture around to fit it in!
- Make sure you have a baby capsule suitable for a newborn, have read the instructions and prepare to install this in your car. If you already have kids, it's good to do the car seat switch prior to the new baby’s arrival to take something off the list! The last thing you want to worry about is having to switch the car seats around when heading home from the birthing unit.
- Pack a hospital bag, include items for Mum, baby and don’t forget some things for your partner too! Have this ready either in your car, or in your garage so it's ready to go when you need it.
- Make some freezer meals. Those early days are hard, and with very little sleep the last thing you want to do is cook. Consider making up some meals for the freezer that can be heated up and enjoyed at any time of the day. My personal faves are; curry, chilli con carne, spag bol, lasagna and soup.
- Nesting is very common in the last weeks of pregnancy, and it's actually really handy in the lead up the bubs arrival. Doing some spring cleaning is a great way to prepare for baby’s arrival. If you’re not up for doing it, grab some friends and family and get them to help. Giving your home a refresh will put your mind at ease for when you have a newborn.
- Do something for you that isn’t baby related. You deserve it! It can be a shopping trip with no baby items, a spa day, getting your nails or hair done, or a trip to the movies.
Enjoy the last few weeks of your pregnancy looking after you.
Written by Natalie Robinson
Natalie lives in Auckland with her husband Chris, son Archer and their two dogs. Plus can’t forget baby girl who's on the way! As a mental and disability advocate, Natalie loves to share what Mum life is really like, and is an open book on her account @mrsrobinsonnz over on Instagram.