A long car journey with kids is story of nightmares for many parents. You know what’s going to happen: complaints, tantrums, multiple toilet stops and lots of fights. It’s enough to drive anyone completely crazy! But just relax, because we’re sharing our top ideas on how to stay sane on a car journeys with your little ones – including using our car seat protector!
Surviving a Car Trips with Kids Using Our Waterproof Car Seat Protector
You’ve packed enough snacks to feed an army, and everything bar the kitchen sink. Everyone has gone to the toilet. All seatbelts and the waterproof car seat protector are on, and you’re off! Oh, hang on. Not quite yet as a toilet visit is needed again, a loved toy has been forgotten and your kids are hungry. You begin to doubt you’ll ever leave the driveway and certainly wish you weren’t taking the trip in the first place.
However, a long car trip with kids is not something we can avoid doing forever. Here are our top tips on retaining your sanity and patience when travelling in a car with your kids:
- Check out our free car trip downloads for your kids to play on the way.
- Expect the mess, so be prepared – take a large roll of paper towels or wipes in the car with you. A wet bag for rubbish and a change of clothes and training pants are also must haves. You can just empty the wet bag in the bin when you arrive.
- Consider using a kid’s car seat protector so catch any drink spills, nappy leaks or toileting accidents. Whipping one of these out from under your wet child (and replacing with a dry one) keeps you in control of what can be a stressful situation. They are so much easier to wash and replace than your car seat cover.
- Bring plenty of snacks in the car – you might not have noticed the large number of cafes and fast food restaurants when you’re driving, but your kids will! In the car, take lots of snacks packed for their hungry tummies. Individual lunchboxes are a good idea, as you can put each child’s favourite food into them, stopping complaints and fights.
- Bring plenty of read-aloud stories – hunt out all those stories on CD and the iPod. Having something to listen to may mean they stop talking for a few minutes!
- Bring your laptop or iPad – great for both games and movies. If you put it on the centre console between the front seats, everyone in the back can watch.
- Consider a toy box or bag – pack a box with favourite toys and a few new ones. When your kids are getting grumpy, have them pick something from the box. It may give you a few minutes
- Use an I Spy Bag – filled with little treasures to find in amongst lots of beads or rice, this is a great activity to do during a car journey with your kids.
- Plan your stops – when travelling on car trips with little kids, plan on stopping around once an hour. Yes, it makes the trip longer, but you’ll remain relatively sane because of it. Stopping at playgrounds, swimming pools and even libraries lets them stretch their legs and give your kids some much needed fresh air.
Travelling with kids by car can be hugely challenging and stressful. But with some planning and a fair bit of luck, it can be done successfully!
For a spill-free car ride, check out Brolly Sheet's car seat protector available online.