Give a kid a blanket is a Community Activated Art Action conceived and lead by artists Donna Turtle Sarten & Bernie Harfleet
Every winter the 'Give a Kid a Blanket' project runs a campaign from May 30th to 19 July.
* Starting in 2015 with 26 drop off points across Auckland and Tauranga the charity gave out 1273 blankets
* In 2016 they had 48 drop off points and gave out 2789 blankets
* In 2017, 8500 blankets were given out,
* In 2018 a massive 17500 blankets were given to those in need.
Here's how it works:
People give their pre-loved or new (clean) blankets then the blankets are handed out to kids and people in need. It isn’t just limited to blankets, the charity also collects sleeping bags, duvets, baby sleep sacks, winter bedding, duvet covers, pyjamas, beanies, socks, jumpers, winter coats, rain coats, cots, Moses baskets and NEW hot water bottles or Pillows and Brolly Sheets, as long as they're clean.
We are helping in two ways:
- Providing a collection point for people to drop off old / new blankets, duvet inners and Brolly Sheets.
- By donating new Brolly Sheets.